With 30 years of experience treating people with emotional pain from many sources, I have found great success practicing a technique called Integrative Psychiatry. This is an approach to mental health which embraces conventional psychotherapy and psychopharmacology, but also uses complementary medicine, innovative techniques, mind/body techniques, and complex analysis of possible biological causes for your difficulties.
We will develop a relationship that is both professional and authentically warm and connected, which recognizes the "whole" of you: a relationship which allows me to accompany you on your journey to health. Our relationship recognizes your unique personhood, and ends your aloneness with whatever suffering you are enduring.
I use the latest in cutting edge science, as well as therapy, to help you get out of pain, stop being stuck, and finally experience the joy of freedom from symptoms and more rewarding relationships.
My mission is to support you in reaching your optimal physical and mental health. I believe in working one-on-one with you to provide expert medical treatment, guidance and care tailored specifically for your health concerns. When the issue resides in a couple, I see the couple together and apart as is required by the issues we are dealing with at any given time. Please contact me today to schedule your initial consultation.
- 1985 – Present, Voluntary Attending Psychiatrist, Beth Israel Medical Center, NYC
- 1992 –1999, Consulting Psychiatrist to Brooklyn College of the City University of New York
- 1982 – 1985, Staff Psychiatrist, Beth Israel Medical Center, NYC, Division of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
7/82 – 7/85, Liaison Psychiatrist to Division of Cardiology, Coronary Care Unit
7/82 – 7/85, Liaison Psychiatrist to Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
- 1982 – 1985, Consulting Psychiatrist, Hospital for Joint Diseases/Orthopedic Institute, NYC
- 7/86 – 6/88, Voluntary Attending, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- 1979 – 1981, Emergency Room Psychiatrist, St. John’s Hospital, Brooklyn, NY, Night Tour
- 2006 – 2012, Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Columbia University, NYC, NY
- 1998 – 2006, Voluntary Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
- 1991 – 1998, Visiting Faculty, New Jersey Institute for Short-term Psychotherapy, St. Clare’s/Riverside Hospital, Denville, NJ
- 1990 – 1996, Visiting Faculty, New Jersey Institute for Short-term Psychotherapy, St. Clare’s/Riverside Hospital, Denville, NJ
- 1982 – 1988, Clinical Instructor, promoted to Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry at The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, NYC
- :American Psychiatric Association: membership current
- Task Force on Integrative Psychiatry: 2011 – present
- Committee on Women: 1979 – 1984
- Editorial Board: “The Bulletin” Area II Council Publication: 1981 – 1983
- ILADS: International Lyme And Associated Diseases Society
- Society for the Study of Psychotherapy Integration (SEPI): 2010 – present
- New York Academy of Science: 2010 – present
- County Medical Society: 2005 – present
- American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology: 1999 – present
- International Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy Association; - present
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Brandeis University, 1968-1972, BA
- Boston University School of Medicine, 1972-1976, MD
Internal Medicine Residency
- Montefiore Hospital and Medical Center, 7/76-6/78, “straight” internship and residency
- St. Vincent’s Hospital, New York, 7/78-6/81, psychiatric residency with elective in in-patient alcoholism treatment residency
- Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, 7/80-6/81, one day per week consultation-liaison elective to dialysis and renal transplant units
Psychosomatics & Consultation-Liaison Psych
- Fellowship – Long Island Jewish Hospital, 7/81-6/82, Hillside Medical Center, in-patient consultation to medical patients, out-patient behavioral medicine clinic
- Clinical Associate in Training: New York Center for Short-term Psychotherapy, 7/85-6/86, Didactic seminars and videotaped supervision in Intensive Short-term Psychotherapy sponsored by Habib Davanloo, M.D.
- Clinical Training: Beth Israel Medical Center, Short-term Dynamic Psychotherapy Program: 1982 – 1985 Group supervision with Drs Been and Trujillo, individual supervision with Dr. Trujillo,
- Supervision : Beth Israel Medical Center: 1982 - 1988, Resident and Attending supervision
- Supervision of the Davanloo module of the NIMH sponsored study comparing 4 different manualized psychotherapies: 1985-1988..
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 1982
- American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine, 2013
- American Board of Internal Medicine, 1979